Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Wacky Raft Race



It almost killed us. There was a mix-up with the start time and we had to row against the tide for hours. The river was beautiful. I will never forget wondering how on earth I found myself in the middle of the Hudson River on a raft with my family, fighting the tide.

It was very much like grief. Fighting, rowing. getting through. Alone. Together. Going on when you think you can't. Getting lost in the motion.

There was nothing but the current, the river. And the sound, the fight to keep going. Keep going.

Two barges passed. The second made us go almost along the shore. Did I tell you how beautiful it is on the river? The water, the shore.

There was just our family at the end. Waving, cheering. The rest of the race had moved on.

We came in 10th place. Only 12 rafts finished.

We did it alone, together. -Sabra

Note: the music accompanying the video is by Jeremy Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment